January 04, 2009

The "R" word

I always have good intentions at the beginning of a New Year making resolutions, but by the fifth day of the year I have broken them all.

This year will be different.

I figure if I type them here, it is like having a contract in writing and I have to keep them or I will be punished. Maybe.

So, for the year 2009...............

1. I will continue writing because I enjoy it so much. In high school a teacher told me that I should be a writer, but I dismissed it and just like any teenager thought she had no clue what she was talking about. Who cares if she was teaching for 20+ years....and was Head of the English Department. I was a teenager dammit and knew exactly what I wanted to do with my life................

2. I will take more pictures with my brand new camera! I would describe it but all I know right now is that it is a Sony and says "For Professional Photographers" on the box. I also know that there is a course I have to take to learn how to use it. *gasp* So far I know how to turn it on and off so I am getting there...........

3. I will yell less. Notice how I didnt say "I will not yell"? I am listing realistic resolutions. I am a yeller and know it isn't right but when I try to talk to my kids calmly as they beat the crap out of eachother, it doesnt get noticed. WHEN I YELL, they can actually hear me. I will work on this.........I was a behaviour therapist in my "before kids" life so you would think I could come up with some creative ideas for my own little rascals.

4. I will take better care of myself. I could write a novel about this one but I am going to strive to put myself first at times. When I need a haircut, I won't wait until I look like a shaggy dog. When I need my brows waxed, I will get it done before people tell me I need it done. I will take time for ME, because I have learned over the last 7 years that I am a happier person when I take the time for myself. Even if it just means a 10 minute breather every day, I will do it.

5. I will meet up with my friends Treadmill and Eliptical 2-4 times a week starting next week. I havent seen them in a few months and know they miss me. I wish I could say I missed them too, but I don't. What I do miss is being 20lbs lighter, tanned and in shape. I vow to get in shape before the warmer months arrive because I will not go through another summer wearing only capris and praying for fall to come so I can wear jeans and big baggy sweatshirts again. So there.

6. I will enjoy watching my kids grow up instead of being depressed about it. I will take in all of the new things they are accomplishing and be happy about it. Every year brings new exciting things in their lives and before I know it they will be men and a little lady. Ugh. Oops...I mean YAY!

7. I will scrapbook more. This falls in the "taking more time for myself" category. There is no better feeling to me than being caught up to date with my pictures all in albums. Sick eh?

I am going to stop here...........this is going to be a tiring year............

No comments: