August 08, 2012

Equine Bug Spray

I don't know about where you live, but the bugs up here in the Far North are bad in the summer.
Just ask Ike and Duke who almost kick the barn door open when we are bringing them inside for the afternoon.
I don't blame them.
Bugs are jerks.
DSC_0092
I know, if they could talk, they would tell me how much they appreciate it when I bring them inside away from the jerks {bugs}.
But they are too busy pushing me out of the way so they can get in their stalls under the ceiling fans.
Ike and Duke enjoy ceiling fans blowing cool air on their tushies.

And so do I.
But that's not what this post is about.

This is a helpful post.
One where I share my knowledge of all things rural, because I am now a country girl surrounded by bugs, rodents, snakes and big huge horses.
Go ahead.
Be jealous of the life I live in rubber boots and aprons.
Be jealous of the variety of scents I get to inhale every day.
Be jealous of my rural knowledge.
*cough*

OK, my hubby is the expert.
I am just here trying to survive through it all.
And pretend I actually know what the hell I am doing, when, in reality I don't have a friggin clue.

Dear Therapist. I live in the country, but really don't know how to survive. I just pretend and hope that I don't get eaten by coyotes. Love Momma.

Anyways.....I digress....as usual.

This helpful post is about bug spray.
Bug spray for horses, actually.
Up until now, it has been my hubby's secret recipe.
But now after some pleading, he has agreed to share it with the world.
Even though he will not receive any sort of compensation.
Except "thanks dear".
"Youre the best, dear."

Anyways.....this bug spray helps  when we remember to use it....
{"we" means "I", but who cares}

1 part vinegar
1 part mouthwash
(we use Scope)
1 part Skin So Soft bath oil (Avon sells it)
1 part water
Pour each into a spray bottle and shake well.

Sing this song while you re doing it


Then spray on to the horses.
They will love you forever.
And will smell good too.

Thanks to my husband.

11 comments:

Foursons said...

Skin so Soft is some amazing stuff. I don't know why Avon doesn't sell it on the store shelves. It's make them a killing.

Gigi said...

Surprisingly, I think I've heard about Skin So Soft's anti-bug properties before somewhere. But would have never thought to use it on horses.

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I will have to try this for my horses. Particularly since bug spray for horses has gotten so expensive!

Tanya Breese said...

ohhh i always hated when the flies bothered our horse like that...seems so uncomfortable :(

Tamar SB said...

I hate flys or mosquitos! I used to live on a marsh and the gnats and bugs were awful! That spray sounds lik it would spell great!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Wow I should try this on our cows the flies are bad all of a sudden. Even in drought there are flies no mosquitoes though.
You are funny I like your humour in this post. B

Nancy said...

It's great when you find an alternative that's hopefully less expensive than storebought. I'm sure your horsies love you for it. xo

An Apel a Day said...

Sounds like a great remedy! In NE we've mostly had problem with the Asian Beetles eating the leaves off out trees and bushes. It's been kind of hot for other bugs. Flies are an issue to.

http://theapels.blogspot.com/2012/08/eugene-t-mahoney-state-park.html

Unknown said...

I've heard Skin So Soft is good for keeping mosquitoes away but I've never tried it. Guess I should. You know, since I don't have horses, but I do live in the swamp and all... ;)

deb duty said...

I'm sure your horses appreciate that mixture! Lovely close up of your beautiful horse!

Unknown said...

Great advice. We don't quite have the climate here in the UK for the vapid insect booms that you suffer from in the states, but my guys still love to be brought indoors during the summer heat.
That sort of equine protection bug spray can be godsend when I'm going to be away from the fields all day.