February 05, 2009

Assignment - Talents

MamaKat has given her assignment for the week and this is the prompt I have chosen after a long drawn out list of what I could think of to write. Sorry, I am not more interesting........

Describe a talent you have.
The list is endless. Between multi-tasking, eating treats without my children seeing me and knowing every word to songs that came out in the 80's, I still have talents, believe it or not.
I am a woman of the new century.
I am woman hear me roar.
Now try not to get too jealous. It may be difficult.
I am double jointed....in most of my joints.
I know, I know, I am a unique individual to begin with and then to add this to the mix, well, I may as well be a celebrity.
Or in some sort of freak show.
How was this talent discovered? When I was a young child I was desperate for attention and would do almost anything to get people to notice me. Well, not really. Actually for some reason, I was trying to put my foot behind my head.
And I did it.
Without any discomfort.
People were amazed.
People formed large groups to watch Momma put her legs behind her head. Not really.
I then tried bending my fingers back and could do it.
Without any discomfort.
Hold the applause please.
Then I took Yoga.
I think the instructor was jealous.
She couldn't believe the moves I could do.
Without any discomfort.
I enjoyed it, but it wasn't a challenge.
The positions felt good but I didn't feel like they were doing anything for my nimble, flexible bod.
I was too good for Yoga. hahahahaha
Beginners Yoga.
I have also found out that there can be too much of a good thing when it comes to talents. Just like singers get laryngitis or gymnasts break bones, freakish double-jointed moms get problems too. I am prone to tendinitis as my joints don't realize when they have gone too far. I am unable to do weightlifting with my upper body because I always get injured. *sniff* *sniff*
Also, after birthing three children I am now unable to put my legs behind my head. At the ripe old age of 33 3/4 my hands are in the very beginning stages of arthritis so bending them backwards is not an option.
Hold the tears.
My time as a star is over. I can deal with it. Really. I can go back on my other talents. As I sit here I am reciting the words to "Funky Cold Medina" by Tone Loc word for word, and eating bon bons. My kids have no idea. Now that is talent.

13 comments:

Suzi said...

Nice talent. Thanks for sharing.

namaste said...

I'm still jealous, even if you are merely a shadow of your former self.

Don't you feel kind of like an undercover superhero? I mean, you have this talent, and the kids are clueless?

So cool.

Thanks for sticking that damn song in my head...

Heatherlyn said...

If sneaking food without your kids seeing is a talent I think I might be talented too!

My brother is double jointed. It's an interesting gift. Maybe some of your kids will inherit it.

Anti-Supermom said...

I love this list of random but fully respectable talents :)

Peeking at you via Mama Kat's list

Musings of the Mrs. said...

As someone who has rarely been able to touch her toes, I've gotta give mad props to your special talent.

Allison said...

LOL!!!! unfortunately the hidden talents we had before children will remain hidden if we can no longer do them... make for good stories though. Did you pass this talent on to any of the kids?

I have not mastered the talent of eating ANYTHING without them knowing. I always have to shre!

Anonymous said...

Kudos!!!

Angela said...

You are too funny! I am double jointed too but not to that extreme! Do you feel kind of like the mom in the movie "The Incredibles"? Hiding treats from kids....girl you know that is ALL skill! I love that I remember all the 80s,90s and beyond....every word!!

Amy McMean said...

I love that you were to good for yoga. that cracks me up.

kisatrtle said...

We share a talent...I'm singing Parents just don't understand as I type this. LOL

Anonymous said...

Now you've got me wondering if all the kids I knew that were double jointed as children are still capable of it either.

Michelle said...

That was a great post and I admire your ability to eat treats without your kids seeing. That is a must have mommy skill. :)

Tabitha Blue said...

Ohhhhh... I've always wished to be double jointed. Didn't know about the side effects, but still, always thought it would be fun. I am the opposite of doube jointed. I have to work hard to be flexible, at all! LOL

:)
~Tabitha~

freshmommyblog.com