November 26, 2009

Overdose

I have had many scary moments as a Mother of three children. The first one was when I was in labour with my first born and the Doctor brought in the vacuum machine. But that's a post for another time.
Today I will tell you about my toddler overdosing on cough syrup.
Yes. Really.
And we ended up in the Emergency Room.
Yes. Really.


My toddler also known as Rowdy drank an entire bottle of this stuff.



Yep. Really.


He went into the bathroom. Opened the child proof lid and downed it all.


Uh huh.


I was in the other room unaware that my child was guzzling a bottle of nighttime cough syrup and noticed that he was quiet. Any mother knows that when their children are in another room and quiet, something is wrong.


I walked into the bathroom and found the empty bottle on the counter with a few drops scattered on the counter.


I didnt panic. Ok, I did. I called my parents so they could watch Messy while I took the druggie to the hospital. My dad stayed to babysit while my mom came with me. Because I wasnt panicking............


My toddler was very drowsy.


And hallucinating.


And feeling no pain whatsoever.


His mom was panicking.


And feeling like the worst mom in the Universe.


"Why did I leave the bottle on the counter?"


"Did I close the cap tightly?"


When I looked on the big screen on the ER wall and saw my toddler's name with "OD" beside it, I almost collapsed to the floor and did the ugly cry.


But I didnt.


Instead, my mom and I spent what felt like hours trying to get the toddler to drink charcoal.


He did.


And was well enough to go home.

And I was wishing that I could down an entire bottle of rum.

So I could forget that this day ever happened.



*Go here to see more completed assignments!*

post signature

13 comments:

Andrea (ace1028) said...

Oh wow. That sounds terrifying. I'm so glad everything turned out OK.

WackyMummy said...

Gosh I hope there're no bad side effects to that experience! Except that he remembers to never do that again! Hope you're both ok now. (((hugs)))

Foursons said...

That would be TERRIFYING! So glad he's OK.

Mommy Inbetween said...

Puh...
Very terrifying!
Glad you noticed it that prompt.

Jen said...

Wow how scary! Why is it that kids will eat and drink the strangest things but ask them to eat dinner and its a big fat NO!


Glad everything turned out alright.

muummmmeeeeee...... said...

Poor you - you must have been beside yourself! So glad he's OK. I'm sure he'll forget all about it long before you ever do x

Karen, author of "My Funny Dad, Harry" said...

That was scary! It's so hard to watch toddlers every second. Glad he was okay. Kids do the dumbest things sometimes! He must have liked the taste.

Visiting from Mama Kat's workshop: I did the Thanksgiving poem prompt and the 101 word story.

Mama Kat said...

Oh my gosh what a nightmare!! It could happen to any of us! I'm so glad he was okay.

Heatherlyn said...

That would be so awful! It's amazing how many kids can open those bottles. I think they are mainly adult-proof!

Erin said...

OMG how scary! I hope he never tries that again! Glad he's okay!!

sky girl said...

OMG! That's so scary. So glad he's okay.

Mrs. Lovely said...

That would be so scary! Apparently when I was 11 months old I downed some hydrogen peroxide and we had *just* moved into a new place and the phone hadn't been hooked up so my Mom had to call for help on an old CB Radio, lol.

Glad he's doing ok now!

tiddlyompompom said...

OMG, that is such a scary story. I'm so glad it had a happy ending.